Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Work Night

Well, it's time to get ready to stay up all night again!!

I shouldn't complain about my job: how many people can have a job where they don't have to drive there, where you take the dog, and get paid to read / watch tv / watch dvd's all night? I'd like to say the hardest part of my job is staying awake all night, but that's not the whole story. The hardest part of my job is dealing with complete and utter boredom!

I MISS using my brain!!! I feel like my brain is turing to mush. Everyone says I should get one of those 'work from home on your computer' jobs to do while I'm oh-so-busy staying awake all night, but the only ones I seem to find when I look on the net are pretty much the internet version of stuffing envelopes. Ideally I'd like to find a job where I did bookkeeping 'at home'!! I like working with numbers and it's something I could do for the 8 hours I'm up anyhow. Anyone know of a bookkeeping from home job... PLEASE feel free to contact me LOL!

My 'job' is where I live. We're a gated, private country club and I work at the front gate from 11pm till 7am four nights a week. The timing couldn't have been better, because I got offered the job less than a week after the transmission died in the van. So while I'm dealing with not having a car, at least I'm able to get to work!! Maxx and I pile in the golf cart around 10:30pm and head 'to work'. He actually seems to get exchited about it. When I say 'it's time to go to work Maxx' he jumps up and runs to the garage door. He does do alot more than sleep under the counter at my feet all night long, but at least I don't have to leave him home alone all night.

There's not alot of people to deal with between 11pm and 3 or 4am. Then the newspaper delivery people start showing up. Maxx used to wake up and get all 'frisky' when he'd hear me talking to someone outside, now he just barely lifts his head. He doesn't wake up till 5:30am when the guy who unlocks the community lodge comes to get the keys. You aught to meet this guy! He's like 90 years old, and has been unlocking the 'community' at 5:30am for the last 8 years! He does this 7 days a week, 365 days a year. He says he likes it and he feels like he's doing something vs 'being retired' and he likes to start his day 'productively'!!!

I tend to show up for work around 30 minutes early, and sady I can't say the same for the people who releive me in the mornings. They tend to show up more like 5 minutes to 7am. Maxx has figured out that when the 'key guy' shows up it's getting 'close' to time to go home. He goes out, then comes in and wants to cuddle for a bit. When the sun starts to lighten the sky he wants out again, then he goes straight to the golf cart!!! To him the sun means it's time to go home LOL! I have to convince him to come back 'inside' for about another half-hour or so till our relief shows up. When he hears their golfcart stop infront of the gate-shack he starts jumping at me and goes out the door and jumps into his 'car seat' in the golf cart. He's ready to call it a day LOL!

It's not a hard job, and it's got alot of perks for me right now, but being bored is starting to get to me. Oh well, I guess there has to be some price to living in Paradise.

No comments: