Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

Well, it's Labor Day. The day we're supposed to celebrate the 'work' we do, and reflect on the work we've put into our lives.

I keep thinking about the thing I put the most work into for the past 6 years... my relationship with J. Funny thing, when he ended 'us', one of the things he said was that he wasn't willing to put the work into our relationship that would be needed.

For the last 6 months I've been thinking about the work that goes into making a relationship work. I've come to realize that to him it was barely a part-time job and for me it was where I put in untold hours of unpaid overtime.

For the last couple of months I've been writting a post where I say 'goodbye' to our relationship in my head. I've come up with some pretty pithy comments, some revealing insights, and some words I wish I'd been able to say to him over the years. But know what? None of it really makes a difference. Well, it makes a difference to me but wouldn't make a difference to him.

So, I've figured out what our relationship needs from me for 5 1/2 years of work.

I HEREBY RESIGN EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!

I gave it everything I had, and parts of me I didn't even realize I had. I made it the centerpoint of my life and worked everything else around it. I refused to acknowledge that while the position had some perks and some great moments, I was being unappreciated, overworked and only paid when I insisted on collecting a paycheck.

I'll miss the person I was in that job. But somewhere out there is a job where I get to be that person again and get paid vacations, paid sick-time, merit raises, and when overtime is needed, I'm asked and not ordered to do it.

The job market may be rough at this time, but with enough resumes and interviews, I'm now sure that eventually I'll come across the right position for me and I'll be glad to accept the job!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very true, Terri. And very well-put. Good for you for getting to this place.

Chula